Friday 5 October 2012

First post!

Wild Kingdom is the start of our new project for hair and makeup design for film, music and photography. My name is Elena Manoli and I am a wannabe make-up artist from London, currently studying in Southampton. I hope to put my work out there, and my first step is by creating this blog.

I went to see the lion king in theatre about a week ago, the show was amazing and I was so inspired by the make-up, hair and costume that I created a few looks that inspired me. It was weird because as soon as I got back to Uni the theme was 'Wild Kingdom' which meant I would be looking at tribal make-up and could use the lion king as inspiration to my work in this project. Im excited to start this, as soon as I got home I began researching everything I could to inspire me, I thought about the location, costume, how I want the make-up, hair, photography, everything. This year I want to pay more attention to detail and focus on getting myself noticed.

The first thing I thought of whilst in my first lecture for Wild Kingdom was the film Aplocoplypto. It is one of my favourite movies and I have always wanted to to a makeup inspired look that involved researching different tribes and cultures. i finally have the chance to do that and use my favourite movie and musical to create my final looks. As you can see below, the image from the movie reminds me slightly of Rodarte. Another thing that has inspired me by this movie are the piercings and jewellery, I'm going to try and step up this year by trying to create my own jewellery and also try to make my model look as if she has piercings along her ears. I will try to avoid the face with piercings as I want my make up to stand out from anything else.




The image above is just one of many that inspires me a lot for this project. Again, it is from the same movie, Apocolypto. The hair, makeup and costume in this movie has always inspired me and I am so excited to use this inspiration and incorporate it into my own work. I have watched this movie over and over and written down pages of notes and lists of what I will need during this project and other movies, musicals, photo shoots, makeup artists and stylists to research. 


No comments:

Post a Comment