Monday 29 October 2012

Tribal scarring, tattoos and piercings

Body modification and scarring is a popular thing in African tribes. I was curious as to why they were so passionate about this, I came to learn that it was so they can identify the members of different tribes. Both women and men take part in these modifications and sometimes even children. In women, they see it as beautiful, and shows that they are suitable mothers. The modifications can include piercings, scarring under the skin, tattoos, and burning. Ive thought about ways in which I can create body modification on my model for my final shoots. Ive thought about doing some trials with different materials such as latex, tissue, fake skin etc. I want my final photos to stand out and have something eye-catching about them, I want to take body modification and make it look beautiful for my high fashion shoot. Below are some skin stretchers that are very common in African tribes, they are often used on the lips, noses and ears. Although very painful, a lot of tribes believe in stretching the skin as a mark of each tribe. Taking a closer look at the stretchers, they come in different shapes, sizes, colours and patterns. Ive thought about portraying lip stretching in my images, however it is hard to come up with how to do it, unless I use a lot of material and prosthetics. Even if I can't pull off the lip stretching, I want to try and do it with the nose. In Topshop you can get tribal looking ear pieces that I can glue onto the nose looking as if they've been stretched.



No comments:

Post a Comment